Komen North Jersey is the local source for funding breast cancer detection, support and educational awareness in the 9-county Northern New Jersey area. Through its 2017-2018 community grants, Komen North Jersey is investing in fund education, screening and diagnostic tests, treatment support, survivorship, and other mission activities here in its nine county service area, provided by 11 local non-profit organizations that serve its uninsured or under-insured residents. Since it was founded in 1997, Komen North Jersey has invested more than $17 million in local breast health agencies and organizations. Up to 75 percent of funds raised stay in our service area.
The remaining 25 percent goes to national research to find the cures. To date the Komen North Jersey has invested more than $7 million dollars in research grants. To learn more about Susan G. Komen’s research investment, click here.
2017 – 2018 Komen North Jersey Community Grant Recipients
Bergen Volunteer Medical Initiative
- Women’s Health Initiative Breast Health Program The nurse navigator provides breast health education and assists patients with screenings, follow-up appointments, and monitors their compliance.
Breast Cancer Emergency Aid Foundation
- Helping Hand – Provides direct financial assistance for non-medical needs to breast cancer patients while in treatment. Assistance is provided as an interim measure for expenses such as shelter costs and utilities.
- Comprehensive Financial Assistance for Women with Breast Cancer– Provides assistance with treatment care, includes: transportation, child care, pain medication and lymphedema supplies
Foundation for Morristown Medical Center
- Reaching the Underserved Latino & African American Community –Increase breast cancer awareness and screenings for African American (AA) and Latina women in Morris County.
Hoboken Family Planning
- Cancer Prevention and Wellness Project – The purpose of this program is to diagnose breast cancer at the earliest possible stage and obtain treatment for the patient and in doing so save the patient’s life.
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
- Open Ear: Helping Newark Women with Breast Cancer Program – Provides breast cancer patients with psychosocial and practical support and provides educational programs on breast health & breast cancer.
Northwest New Jersey Community Action Partnership, Inc.
- Warren County Breast Health Awareness Project – Provides a culturally responsive approach to increase knowledge of early screening throughout Warren County, with a special emphasis on low-income, minority women.
Overlook Medical Center
- Breast Cancer Continuum of Care for Underserved African-American & Hispanic Women at Overlook
Support at-risk AA and Hispanic women, our goal is to provide women access to screening, and diagnostic tests, and provide pre-diagnostic breast cancer navigation.
Somerset Health Care Foundation
- Senos Sanos (Healthy Breasts) – Addresses an identified need for breast health education among Latino women.
Trinitas Regional Medical Center
- Breast Health Outreach Coordinator- This program improves the community’s breast cancer awareness and education levels, while encouraging early screening and detection among women.
- The Trinitas Prescription for Breast Cancer Survival Program– provide navigation for women with abnormal mammograms through treatment including diagnostic testing assistance for low-income, underinsured women.
Zufall Health Center
- Lay Breast Health Patient Navigation in Sussex County – This program focuses on assisting low-income women in Sussex County to enter and properly maneuver through the Breast Cancer Continuum of Care.
For more information, please call Tina Jacobs, Director of Community Health – 908-277-2904 x207