History

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization outside of the federal government, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $956 million in research and provided more than $2.1 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs. Komen has worked in more than 60 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Visit komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN. Connect with us on social at ww5.komen.org/social

North Jersey Affiliate Story

The North Jersey Affiliate was founded in 1997 on a promise “to make a difference” to a ten-year-old girl who lost her mother to breast cancer.  Affiliate Board of Trustees, Medical Advisory Council, staff and over 700 survivors and activists fulfill that promise every day by delivering the life-saving message of early detection.

Through fundraising events like the Pink Tie Ball, the Affiliate supports community-based breast health education, and screening and treatment programs focusing on underserved and uninsured women.  75% of net funds raised by the Affiliate stays within its service area* and the remaining 25% is directed to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Award and Research Grant Program.

* Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union, Warren