Director of Development Position Available
North Jersey Affiliate of Susan G. Komen®
Director of Development
TITLE: Director of Development
STATUS: Full Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
The Director of Development is responsible for raising revenue through the leadership of all revenue streams including, but not limited to: sponsorship, major gifts, peer-to-peer fundraising, planned giving, event revenue, Cause Related Marketing (CRM), and third party events. This position serves on the senior leadership team that is responsible for shaping the organization’s strategic direction, guiding daily operations and working collaboratively with the whole team to ensure proper stewarding of donors. This position provides leadership and direction for retaining, diversifying and developing fundraising opportunities and promoting the work of the affiliate across the nine-county service area. In addition, this position supports the Executive Director and Board of Trustees in achieving the organization’s overall success.
All Komen North Jersey employees will participate in Race for the Cure (Race) activities during the year, on Race set-up day and on Race Day.
Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its’ founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $800 million in research and provided more than $1.6 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psycho-social support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide.
OUR MISSION – NORTH JERSEY AFFILIATE
Founded in 1997 on a promise to “make a difference” to a ten-year-old girl who lost her mother to breast cancer, the Susan G. Komen North Jersey Affiliate is dedicated to providing funding for breast health services, breast cancer education and outreach in New Jersey’s 9-county region of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren.
Through events like the Komen North Jersey Race for the Cure® and Pink Tie Party, the Susan G. Komen North Jersey Affiliate has granted more than $16 million for local screening, education and treatment programs. The Affiliate dedicates 75% of the funds raised in its service area to support the critical needs in this geographic area. The remaining 25% of net revenue supports the Komen National Research Grant Program.
- Shares in developing ideas and strategies that make connections between resource development, community health initiatives and public relations
- Shares in developing and executing the organization’s strategic plan
- Shares in developing internal implementation strategies that leverage talent across the organization
- Shares in developing and updating policies and practices that support organization operations
- Shares in monitoring the organization’s operating budget and participates in the budget process
- Shares in monitoring annual organization performance and making recommendations
- Shares organization leadership in the absence of the Executive Director
- Shares accountability for governance and engages board members individually, in committees and within the group for collaboration in affiliate activities to achieve success
- Participates in hiring new staff, as appropriate
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors and Executive Director, implement and actively participate in the execution of an annual development plan to ensure the successful achievement of benchmarks, financial goals and revenue growth.
- Lead, oversee and prioritize the affiliate’s Race and non-Race fundraising events and revenue development and make recommendations for continued and new approaches for revenue generation
- Lead the entire Development Team facilitating inclusiveness, delegation of duties, professional development opportunities and annual reviews of staff members
- Meet aggressive fundraising goals by securing sponsorships, soliciting corporations and donors and managing Race teams
- Provide oversight to the Development Team to successfully manage and implement the affiliate CRM program, third party events program, volunteer program, and recognition program
- Develop and implement a major gift program and/or a planned giving program
- Develop and implement recruitment processes and retention of in-kind business partnerships
- Develop and implement a structure for board engagement in the affiliate’s fund development activities
- Share and incorporate best practices with colleagues and other Komen Affiliate Development Directors and lessons learned from AFP and other trade associations
- Act as an ambassador with local, state and national partners, media and community
- Provide oversight of the Development Team in developing a sponsorship recruitment/retention plan and engage the board in the execution of the plan
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, at times, provide oversight and direction to the PR Consultant in developing an affiliate communications plan in consort with the PR Communications Committee (should one exist)
- Provide oversight of the Development Team in prioritizing and executing the Race events, community health, affiliate and promotional events
- Support Executive Director and Board with other Affiliate projects and events as requested
- Demonstrate creativity, flexibility and resilience
- Strategic and generative thinking
- Establish best practices and lead affiliate toward role model performance
- Act as an ambassador and seek ways to enhance mission impact in the community
- Hold individuals at all levels accountable to strategic plan and initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in related field and/or CFRE preferred
- 5-7 years of experience working for not for profit organizations in a fundraising/development capacity
- Experience managing staff and volunteers
- Experience recruiting sponsorships and event participants
- Demonstrated experience in all aspects of financial management
- Excellent communication, presentation and well developed IPR skills
- Strong sales, fundraising and customer service skills
- A high degree of integrity that garners the trust and respect of others; excellent relationship management skills
- Sensitivity to and ability to work with underserved and cross-cultural individuals and committees
- Keen ability to problem solve and think creatively
- A record of planning and supporting growth
- Ability to prioritize, problem solve, work independently and multi-task under deadlines and pressure
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Ability to direct graphic designer/ printer
- Familiarity with data management programs; proficiency in People Soft, Convio and Salesforce a plus
- Ability to represent Komen North Jersey in an exemplary, professional manner at all levels of engagement
- Experience in reporting to a Board of Trustees and building board relations is desired
- Working knowledge of philanthropic and economic trends affecting the nonprofit community
- Ability and desire to keep current with breast cancer research, medical development, breast health resources and needs
- Ability to motivate and appropriately utilize volunteers
- Experience and knowledge of social media marketing
- Flexibility to travel and work evening and weekends as needed
Komen North Jersey provides an accessible office location with free parking, an excellent work environment and generous benefits. As a team we support one another, promote fair treatment and inclusively of others and job responsibilities require evening and weekend participation. All staff, across departments, participate in the planning and implementation of Affiliate events including Race for the Cure. Training and conferences at Komen National Headquarters will require occasional out of state travel. Expectations are high and responsibilities are broad.
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with subject heading “Director of Development”. Priority will be given to applications received by October 31, 2015. No phone calls please.