WE’RE HIRING: Breast Health/Cancer Community Educator
Susan G. Komen® North Jersey Affiliate
Breast Health/Cancer Community Educator – Full Time – Exempt
Save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.
Each employee is responsible for doing whatever it takes to ensure that the organization is successful. We share responsibility for leadership, creativity, dynamic communication and finding solutions. Additionally, each employee will provide colleagues with the support and information they need to succeed in their jobs.
Provide evidence-based outreach and breast health/cancer education in the African American community, including development, implementation, follow up and evaluation of Know Your Girls program. Serves as liaison to collaborate with medical centers, nonprofit organizations, legislators and faith-based community to build trust and understanding of the Komen name and mission.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Community Health, complete training on:
Komen’s Bold Goal, continuum of care, disparities, breast cancer risks, statistics, and barriers, specifically in the African American community.
- Travel throughout Essex County to provide breast health/cancer education and access to screening mammograms.
- Build, encourage and support partnerships and collaborations among medical providers, community organizations, schools, corporations, government agencies (i.e. health departments, etc.) and public policy makers
- Experience working with a variety of community and/or faith-based organizations within the greater Newark area
- Preference for a Newark native/ resident, someone with ties to the community.
- Strong organizational skills to plan, implement, and administer programs.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and public speaking skills
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work well with volunteers
- A high degree of integrity that garners the trust and respect of others
- Dedication to principles of inclusion
- Knowledge of the culture, beliefs and behaviors of African Americans
- Monitor program outcomes and impact.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Available to work evenings and weekends as needed
- College degree in health/social service related field
- Minimum of one year of community health education
- Valid Driver License with clean driving record
- Full time
- Sitting, standing, bending, stooping, walking
- Repetitive hand motion (such as typing)
- Hearing, listening, seeing, talking, reading
- Lifting up to 20 pounds
Komen North Jersey provides an accessible office location with free parking, an excellent work environment and generous benefits. As a team we support one another, promote fair treatment and inclusively of others and job responsibilities require evening and weekend participation. All staff, across departments, participate in the planning and implementation of Affiliate events including Race for the Cure. Training and conferences at Komen National Headquarters will require occasional out of state travel. Expectations are high and responsibilities are broad.
Salary $40,000 – $45,000
PTO, Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Simple IRA
To apply, please email: Tina Jacobs, Director of Community Health