WE’RE HIRING: Manager, Mission Programs
Updated August 2019
MANAGER, MISSION PROGRAMS
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Parsippany, NJ
Employment Status: Full Time, Salaried, Exempt
To save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.
As employees, we share responsibility for leadership, creativity, dynamic communication and finding solutions. Each employee works collaboratively with team members and provides colleagues with the support and information they need to succeed in their jobs. Expectations are high, responsibilities are broad, and the work is meaningful.
Reporting to the Executive Director the Manager, Mission Programs is responsible for the evaluation, development and effective implementation of programs to support our communities’ breast health and breast cancer needs. S/he serves as a resource for breast health and breast cancer information and support. This position requires the ability to build relationships with community organizations and stakeholders, colleagues, volunteers and the healthcare community to work collaboratively to execute the Affiliate’s Mission Action Plan. S/he will interact effectively and represent Komen North Jersey with community partners and professional constituencies while working closely with the Executive Director and team members on executing programs, advocacy efforts, fundraising initiatives, and health education resources.
- Position Komen North Jersey as the community resource for breast health and breast cancer care and effectively serve as the representative of the Affiliate’s mission to internal and external groups, including key stakeholders.
- Serve as Komen North Jersey’s liaison to the general public, donors and partners, community organizations, medical facilities and health professionals.
- Responsible for enrollment, participant satisfaction and retention in a wide menu of advocacy, educational and mission related activities.
- Lead the development of the Community Profile, a community health needs assessment, by overseeing the research, analysis, content and development of the Mission Action Plan.
- Develop and present health education and promotion programs that align with the Mission Action Plan and Affiliate goals, such as training workshops, conferences, and school or community presentations; develop, prepare, and coordinate grant applications and grant-related activities to obtain funding for health education programs and related work.
- Manage the Affiliate’s emerging direct service program, Know Your Girls; manage patient navigator, provide education and training to volunteers, develop and grow relationships in the communities, secure funding and support and evaluate outcomes.
- Oversee a highly competitive grants process that funds high-impact, outcome-based programs including the development of RFA and materials (in collaboration with Komen HQ), manage volunteer peer review committees and supervise contracting process and management of funds; maintain working relationship with all grantee programs and provide guidance to all programs and serve as liaison between programs and community; ensure annual grantee site visits.
- Manage volunteers and committees related to mission programs and activities.
- Maintain accurate records of all outreach activities, program status, outcomes, and needs and report as needed.
- Represent the Affiliate at events, as needed
- Other duties, as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Superior relationship management and interpersonal skills; able to work independently and collaboratively with a variety of personalities and leadership styles.
- Highly organized and professional demeanor.
- Collaborative and energetic work style.
- Strong analytical, project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly.
- Action oriented, ability to problem-solve and comfortable thinking outside the box.
- High level of proficiency in database management; knowledge of Salesforce and Convio preferred.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office products, ie. Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excellent writing, editing, verbal and presentation skills, with a keen attention to detail.
- Passion for Komen’s mission and volunteer development.
- A flexible schedule, including the ability to work late evenings, early mornings, and occasional weekends as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Promotion, Community Health, Public Health Education, Public Health, Health Communication or other health related fields required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working directly with community health organizations and developing health education programs
- Strong knowledge of breast health/breast cancer needs of the African American and Latina communities.
- CHES or MCHES certification preferred.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred.
- An understanding of public health concepts, health care systems, breast cancer, familiarity with trends and constituencies, and involvement with leaders or organizations addressing disparities / health equity issues.
- Experience in program development and managing multiple projects simultaneously, including design, budgeting, assessment, and reporting to key stakeholders.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategies into action and results.
- Prior experience with fundraising, grant-writing and revenue generation.
- Experience with volunteer management.
- Experience developing written resources and/or publications preferred.
- Experience with the local advocacy process and working with legislators preferred.
- Highly organized and able to produce accurate work under tight deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license with reliable transportation; ability travel throughout the 9-county territory.
Komen North Jersey provides an accessible office location with free parking, an excellent work environment and generous benefits. As a team we support one another and promote fair treatment and inclusively of others. Job responsibilities require some evening and weekend participation. All staff, across departments, participate in the planning and implementation of Affiliate events including Race for the Cure. Physical requirements include the ability to stand, sit, walk bend and lift over 40 lbs. Travel for regional or national meetings may be possible, although infrequent. Komen is an EOE.
Internal and External Contacts
Affiliate Board of Directors
Business and community leaders
Komen Headquarters Staff
Donors, Potential Donors
Applying for the Position
To apply for this position, send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Manager, Mission Programs”. Only applications meeting the job and stated submission requirements will be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.