WE’RE HIRING: Marketing & Communications Manager
Updated April 2019
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Reports To: Executive Director
Location: Parsippany, NJ
Employment Status: Full Time, Salary, Exempt
To save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.
Each employee is responsible for doing whatever it takes to ensure that the organization is successful. We share responsibility for leadership, creativity, dynamic communication and finding solutions. Additionally, each employee will provide colleagues with the support and information they need to succeed in their jobs.
The Marketing & Communications Manager will be responsible for the development and execution of the Affiliate’s external marketing efforts and communications strategies that increase donors and fundraising, raise awareness and generate community engagement. This position reports to the Executive Director and collaborates with all members of the Komen North Jersey team to promote brand awareness, effectively market the organization and create compelling communications of the mission and work of the organization to engage donors and volunteers. S/he will work with staff, vendors and volunteers to manage all activities related to public relations, media relations, marketing, publications, content creation, copy writing and social media. S/he will evaluate the effectiveness of marketing and communications strategies, as well as ensure brand integrity on all Affiliate marketing and communication materials.
Job responsibilities can require evening and weekend participation, particularly during event seasons. All staff, across departments, participate in the planning and implementation of major Affiliate events, including Race for the Cure. Travel throughout territory is required and based on need, with a possibility of regional or national travel for conferences. Expectations are high and responsibilities are broad.
• Lead and oversee the development and execution of Affiliate communication messaging and strategy, with an emphasis on donor cultivation.
• Manage and implement concurrent, interdependent short-, medium- and long-term communications strategies to support and achieve Affiliate goals and priorities. Create and implement a year-long communications and marketing schedule to increase revenue and promote engagement.
• Develop marketing strategies and materials, in alignment with overall Affiliate strategy, to meet metrics and benchmarks. Make recommendations for increased effectiveness.
• Manage Affiliate marketing and public relations vendors and/or volunteers to achieve goals and metrics.
• In collaboration with the Director of Operations, manage Affiliate website, including creating and updating all content, and analyzing site data to track and improve content reach.
• Responsible for Affiliate’s social media channels, including creating and managing content to engage donors, identify donors and cultivate constituents. Collaborate with Affiliate sponsors for cross promotion and recognition. Increase social media engagement, email open rates and website traffic.
• Analyze social media, SEO and other marketing data to track and improve content and reach. Make
recommendations based upon data to improve marketing and communications strategies.
• Increase brand awareness through communication to constituents and the general public to ultimately drive
donations and increase engagement.
• Collaborate with development and mission staff to develop stories about the Affiliate’s mission for effective use in
marketing materials. Develop Affiliate-wide and segmented donor correspondence.
• Create print and digital content (in collaboration with vendors and volunteers), including emails, flyers, sponsorship
brochures and press releases.
• Develop and sustain successful relationships with media sponsors. Work with development staff to create and
execute innovate marketing benefits for Affiliate sponsorships.
• Ensure projects are completed by identified deadlines and on budget. Ensure successful outcomes by adopting bestpractice
strategies, project management methodologies and metrics. Ensure the integrity, high quality and
consistency of the Affiliates brand.
• Stay current with and introduce new marketing strategies when and where they can add value.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications or marketing and 3-5 years of relevant, non-profit experience
• Ability to develop marketing, brand and communication strategies
• Very strong project management skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Experience managing multiple marketing projects, simultaneously
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and meet deadlines
• Demonstrated outstanding writing, editing and proofreading skills with strong attention to detail and a creative
approach; ability to produce high quality, persuasive written materials for general public understanding with minimal
• Demonstrated track record of positioning an organization to achieve measurable outcomes in a competitive
• Excellent promotional skills and oral, non-verbal and written communication skills are essential
• Experience managing volunteers and public relations/marketing firms is preferred
• Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office software is essential
• Must have a valid driver’s license and appropriate motor vehicle insurance
Additional Core Competencies
• Demonstrate creativity, flexibility and resilience
• Strategic and generative thinking
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally
• Ability to be proactive, prioritize and problem-solve in fast-paced environments
• Ability to represent Komen North Jersey in an exemplary, professional manner at all levels of engagement
• Passion for Komen’s mission and working with volunteers
Komen North Jersey provides an accessible office location with free parking, an excellent work environment and generous
benefits. As a team we support one another, promote fair treatment and inclusively of others. Komen North Jersey is an
equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.
Applying for the Position
To apply for this position, send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a subject
line of Marketing and Communications Manager. Only candidates meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
Preference will be given to candidate applying before May 10, 2019. No phone calls, please.